miercuri, 28 septembrie 2011

The Plague - Albert Camus


Starting to write on this blog about the books I've read was somehow intended to collect my feeling about the reading. But, in order for this to actually work, I should have written the post immediatly after finishing it. Which, of course, I did not...

Actually, I intended to read Albert Camus' Plague since more than 2 years. I've downloaded the .pdf in French - the original language in which it was written-, in English and in Romanian. I must confess that though it appeared to be such a brilliant idea to read it in 3 languages at the same time, well... it turns out it's not. So I've started it in French and, after less than 25% reading I abandoned French and continued in my native language, as this was not a very easy reading in the author's native language...

As I'm very aware of my very good - not! - memory, I've kept a .txt with all the characters names and a few words about each one. For some reason I imagine Rieux sounds -phonetically- very similar to Tarrou, which it doesn't. So I had to keep a close eye on this two fellows in my txt doc, during the first pages... So here's my char list :

- doctor Bernard Rieux -> you should keep an eye on this dude, as the book concentrates on his perspective on things that are happened. I wouldn't say though he's the main character, as in my opinion this title goes to 'lady plague'. Nobody would ever believe that it's a 'he', right?

- Michel, the old doorman -> I soon realised he played a small role, but it was too late, I wrote his name down and I wasn't gonna delete my work...

- Othon, the judge. He wears a monocle and looks like an owl. I thought that he would have a small part like poor Michel -whom I kind of grew fond of, even if he dissapeared after few pages-, but I felt of course really good when he appeared later in the book.

- Raymond Rambert, the journalist. He's not very tall, but he has lightened intelligent eyes.

- Jean Tarrou -> he lives in a hotel, he's a weird fellow and he keeps some interesting journals

- Mercier - director of derating service
- Paneloux - the priest
- Joseph Grand - he works in the city hall; he's a tall man in his 50s, with a yellow moustache
- Cottard - Grand's neighbour, who had a failed suicide attempt.
- Richard - yet another doctor ( not as bright as Rieux) . He somehow reminded me of Romanian doctors. And that's NOT a compliment.
- Castel - older doctor
- Rigaud - some architect
etc...

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu